Arsenal ended their winless run in dramatic vogue by coming from behind to beat Aston Villa 4-2 at Villa Park and take the lead on the closing whistle.
The Gunners had been stage in stoppage time however Jorginho’s shot returned from the crossbar and deflected Emiliano Martinez into the online to spark wild celebrations, earlier than substitute Gabriel Martinelli capped the comeback with a fourth on the escape.
Villa led twice within the first half by means of Ollie Watkins and Philippe Coutinho, however Mikel Arteta’s aspect confirmed their combating spirit to equalize twice by means of Bukayo Saka after which – simply after the hour mark – Oleksandr Zinchenko. However the drama was but to return.
Aaron Ramsdale tipped Leon Bailey’s drive in opposition to the aim body and Arsenal capitalized on that escape very late. The end result moved them three factors clear on the high forward of Manchester Metropolis’s recreation later within the afternoon, giving them confidence of their title dream.
AstonVilla Martinez (5), Money (6), Konsa (5), Mings (6), Moreno (5), Kamara (7), Luiz (6), Buendia (7), McGinn (7), Coutinho (7), Watkins (7).
Subtitles: Ramsey (6), Bailey (6), Dendoncker (6), Duran (6), Worthy (6).
Arsenal: Ramsdale (8), White (8), Saliba (6), Gabriel (6), Zinchenko (8), Jorginho (8), Xhaka (6), Saka (7), Odegaard (7), Trossard (6), Nketiah (6).
Subtitles: Martinelli (7), Tomiyasu (6), Vieira (7), Tierney (n/a), Holding (n/a).
Participant of the sport: Jorgenho.
In footage: How Martinelli sealed victory
Arteta: ‘It was completely bouncy’
“We confirmed character, resilience,” Arteta stated. BT Sports activities. “Within the second half we created likelihood after likelihood. We would have liked a magic second and Jorginho produced it.
“After what occurred a number of days in the past, we’re delighted to have gained the sport. If you wish to be on the high, you need to win video games in numerous methods.
“It was completely bouncy [in the dressing room], it was an enormous effort to play lower than 72 hours after the end result we had. I am actually proud of the boys.”
How the drama unfolded at Villa Park
Villa have scored a higher proportion of objectives within the first quarter of an hour than every other Premier League aspect this season and in opposition to Arsenal it took simply 5 minutes for Watkins to seek out the online. That is the fourth recreation in a row the place the striker has scored.
There had been a warning even earlier than that together with his late pace and when William Saliba backed up and backed up he took benefit of it – capturing low past Ramsdale. It was the worst begin for a faltering Arsenal however they discovered a solution.
Saka might be in even higher form because the clearance from Watkins and Tyrone Mings would have seemed inviting to the England winger. He kicked the ball into the online previous a blind Martinez and the away help liked it. An opportunity to calm down, to start to regulate.
- Unai Emery has made 5 modifications to the Aston Villa aspect which misplaced to Manchester Metropolis. Within the workforce got here Matty Money, Tyrone Mings, Alex Moreno, John McGinn and Philippe Coutinho. Calum Chambers, Lucas Digne, Ashley Younger, Leon Bailey and Jacob Ramsey are out.
- Mikel Arteta has made two modifications to the Arsenal squad which was overwhelmed by Manchester Metropolis. Ben White returned to right-back rather than Takehiro Tomiyasu, whereas Leandro Trossard changed Gabriel Martinelli to make his Premier League debut for Arsenal.
As a substitute, the high quality passing aim got here from Villa. Martinez constructed the play, Boubacar Kamara despatched a ball to Alex Moreno and the cross from the full-back was deliciously simulated by Emi Buendia. Coutinho did the remaining by scoring his first aim of the season.
The Arsenal gamers got here out early for the second half, gathering as a gaggle, to grab the second. Eddie Nketiah hit the crossbar with a header. Then Zinchenko introduced them stage after a small nook from Martin Odegaard. However they nonetheless wanted extra.
When Odegaard missed a transparent likelihood, it appeared prefer it. Villa had large alternatives on the counter-attack and Bailey was so near profitable it for Villa – with well-known supporter Tom Hanks cheering them on. He didn’t select the situation that awaited him.
Jorginho tried an bold shot from distance and the ball ricocheted off the aim, hitting Martinez. The goalkeeper shortly moved up the opposite finish for a nook and was caught off guard on the break when Fabio Vieira performed selflessly at Martinelli.
Arteta confronted the prospect of a fourth Premier League recreation with out a win – a fifth in all competitions. It will have added to the sensation that the momentum was with Metropolis. What occurred throughout downtime modifications all that.
Arsenal will nonetheless imagine it.
Arsenal’s victory in statistics
- Arsenal have now conceded the primary aim in 4 of their final 5 Premier League video games, another than of their first 18 of the 2022-23 marketing campaign.
- Solely Erling Haaland and Harry Kane have been concerned in additional Premier League objectives this season than Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka.
- Oleksandr Zinchenko scored his first Premier League aim on his 92nd look within the competitors. He’s Arsenal’s thirteenth completely different goalscorer within the league this season, probably the most.
- Arsenal scored a Ninetieth-minute away winner within the Premier League for the primary time since Gabriel Martinelli scored in opposition to Crystal Palace in Might 2021.
Aston Villa’s the following outing is dwelling for Everton subsequent Saturday; kick off 3 p.m. On the aspect of Unai Emery then host crystal palace Saturday, March 4; kick off 3 p.m.
Arsenal will now put together for a visit to Leicester subsequent Saturday; kick off 3 p.m. Mikel Arteta’s workforce then host Everton – who beat them 1-0 earlier this month – on Wednesday March 1; kick off 7:45 p.m.