Inter Milan reached the Champions League quarter-finals for the primary time in additional than a decade after surviving a late strain barrage at Porto to flee with a 0-0 draw that noticed them down 1-0 on combination.
It was a disappointing evening for dwelling followers at a sold-out Dragao Stadium because the Portuguese champions tried in useless to erase a slim first-leg deficit in Italy.
A disciplined Inter aspect seemed content material to carry on to their lead and confronted no severe risk till added time.
Porto hit the woodwork twice inside 30 seconds earlier than Pepe was despatched off for a second yellow card as Inter joined metropolis rivals AC Milan within the quarter-finals.
How Inter overtook Porto…
Ultimately, Romelu Lukaku’s purpose 4 minutes from time within the first leg was sufficient to see Inter by way of to their first Champions League quarter-final since 2011.
Mehdi Taremi got here inside centimeters of forcing the tie in further time when he shook the crossbar within the closing phases.
The Portuguese squad was decreased to 10 males within the seventh minute of added time when winger Pepe acquired a second yellow card.
On mortgage Chelsea striker Lukaku got here on for Inter with 20 minutes remaining, changing Edin Dzeko who had come furthest for Simone Inzaghi’s aspect with a weak effort that was saved by Diogo Coast.
Napoli may make three Serie A golf equipment within the final eight on Wednesday, holding a 2-0 lead over Eintracht Frankfurt from the primary leg.
Opta stats: Inter attain the quarter-finals for the seventh time…
- Inter Milan booked their place within the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals for the seventh time total and the primary time since 2010-11 after they had been knocked out within the quarter-finals by Schalke.
- Inter have saved three consecutive clear sheets in UEFA Champions League knockout matches for the primary time since April 2010.
- Porto have now been knocked out of seven of their eight UEFA Champions League knockout ties after dropping the primary leg, solely progressing from that place in 2018-19 in opposition to Roma.
- Porto have gained simply two of their final seven UEFA Champions League knockout matches at dwelling, drawing one and dropping 4.
- Porto had 21 pictures in opposition to Inter tonight, essentially the most with out a purpose by a crew in a UEFA Champions League recreation this season, with Atletico Madrid in opposition to Membership Brugge on October 12 and Chelsea in opposition to Borussia Dortmund on February 15.
- No crew has collected extra crimson playing cards within the UEFA Champions League this season than Porto (3, tied with Sporting Lisbon).
- Inter midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan made his fiftieth Champions League look, the primary Armenian participant to achieve that milestone within the competitors.
When is the draw?
The quarter-final and semi-final attracts will happen at 11am UK time on Friday 17 March in Nyon, Switzerland at UEFA headquarters.
The eight winners of the Spherical of 16 are concerned in an open quarter-final and semi-final draw.
There aren’t any seeds and no safety from the nation, so golf equipment can face opposition from the identical nation. They’ll additionally draw groups that they’ve already performed within the group stage.
A remaining draw can even happen to find out the “dwelling” crew for administrative causes for the showpiece occasion in Istanbul, Turkey on June 10.
You may comply with the draw with Sky Sports activities’ dwell weblog, so you possibly can comply with all the things right here.